App Smackdown

https://youtu.be/siaPWBCXLlg

For my Smackdown presentation, I chose Backstage, a professional casting platform intended specifically for actors and performers. Backstage allows actors to create a profile, upload  resumes and headshots, and submit auditions directly to casting calls for theater, commercials, film, television, and voice-over projects. One of the most useful features of Backstage is that it opens up a door for performers to access real casting opportunities in one place, making it easier to search for roles that match their age range, skills, and experience level. The platform also offers audition tips, industry advice, and career resources, which makes it essential not only for finding jobs but also for learning how to evolve as an actor.

In my college coursework, I could use Backstage to begin building my professional acting profile while still in school. For example, I can upload scenes or monologues I perform as part of my portfolio from the film and acting classes I have taken. I could also apply for  local theater productions, student films, or independent projects to gain real-world experience while finishing my degree. Using Backstage during college would allow me to improve my confidence, practice auditioning, and understand how the casting process works before fully stepping into the professional industry.

In my future career as an actor, Backstage would be a crucial tool for networking and finding steady opportunities. Acting is already a competitive field,so having access to updated casting calls gives me a better chance of staying active and building my resume. I would use the platform to submit self-tapes, connect with casting directors, and stay informed about industry trends. Overall, Backstage guides both my educational growth and my long-term professional goals by helping me stay active, connected, and prepared in the entertainment industry.




Comments

  1. This is a really cool app for anyone who wants to pursue a career in the arts. It will definitely be a helpful tool for you to get connected and find new opportunities in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marquir, it’s nice to see that there’s a platform kind of like LinkedIn that helps actors connect directly with professionals in their fields. This helps you frame yourself how you want to be seen instead of paying someone (agent) to frame you into whatever they think will land you a role to benefit them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post because you clearly explained how Backstage can support you both now and in your future career. I like how you emphasized that it’s not just a job-search platform, but also a learning tool with audition tips and industry advice. That shows you’re thinking about long-term growth, not just immediate opportunities. I also think it’s smart that you plan to start building your professional profile while still in college. Uploading monologues, applying for student films, and gaining real-world experience early will help build your confidence and prepare you for the competitive nature of acting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts